PA Media Blog

BULLYING

Posted in Uncategorized by megehee on the April 11, 2011

BULLYING

Bullying is a form of abuse, and is repeated acts over time trying to over power another person. This means that the acts could be physical abuse or social. The victim of a bully is referred to them as a “target”.  Bullying consists of three basic types of abuse, verbal, physical, and emotional. It typically involves subtle methods of coercion such as intimidation. The bullying is a one on one to more complex bullying which may have one or more people to have the help. Bullying in school and the workplace is also referred to as peer abuse.

Bullying can occur in any context in which human beings interact with each other. This includes school, church, family, home and neighborhoods. It is even a common factor in migration. Bullying can even exist in social groups/ classes and even between countries. The word “bully” was first used in the 1530′s as the term of “sweetheart”, applied to sex in the Dutch boel. Bullying is characterized by a person behaving in a certain way to gain power over another person. Bullies may behave this way to be perceived as popular or tough or to get attention. They may bully out of jealousy or be acting out because they themselves are bullied.

Direct bullying involves a great deal of physical aggression such as shoving and poking, throwing things, slapping, choking, punching and kicking, beating, stabbing, pulling hair, scratching, biting, scraping and pinching etc. There was a charity act set up in 2003 for children who have ever been victims of being bullied.

bulyying

The effects that bullying has on their targets are fatal and can be life threatening. An estimation of 60-80% of kids is bullied in school. Many people have suggested bullying as one of the reason of this decline in emotional sensitivity and acceptance of violence as normal. When someone is bullied, it is not only the bully and victim who are becoming less sensitive to violence. In most cases, the friends and classmates of the bully and the victim accept the violence as normal.

As you all know, you have heard of what had happened to Phoebe Prince, because of her getting bullied by six teenagers she had decided to take her own life on January 14, 2010. Having recently moved to the U.S. from Ireland, Prince had been taunted and bullied for several months by at least two separate groups of students at South Hadley High School, reportedly because of disputes with other girls over her brief relationships with a senior high school football player and a second male student. That day she had walked home, and a car passing by had thrown a can at her. When she arrived at home, she had hung herself by the stairwell leading to the second floor. Her body was discovered by her 12-year old sister.

Bullying is very serious and something that needs to be taken care of, and since the new law has been passed that bullying is no longer allowed, I feel as if it’ll still go on no matter what people try to do to stop it. For a young girl to loose her life because of bullying is just awful. She still had her whole life to live for and now we never will know what she could have accomplished, and that’s all because of six silly little teenagers being immature.

-Kyrie

6 Responses to 'BULLYING'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'BULLYING'.

1.   megehee said,

on April 18th, 2011 at 11:58 am      

This is deffinetly a touching subject, and it its important for all teens and really any human being to know about. I agree with you that it is not worth loosing a life because of six immature teenagers. No one in the world should ever be treated any differently just because their different they dress different or because of who they hangout with. This blog was ispiring even though there may not be a set way to stop bullying but there are plenty of ways step by step to diminishimg bullying. Just by steping up for the victim being bullyed or standing up for yourself talk to someone anyting. We dont need to loose anymore lives from bullying.
    Amanda

2.   megehee said,

on May 17th, 2011 at 11:05 pm      

I agree with what both you and Amanda said. It is a completely terrible thing to hear of young kids feeling like taking their own life is the only way to solve the bullying. Bullying is stupid because honestly what do you get out of it? Hurting someone with your words and actions? That’s not cool at all, because you know that when you bully someone you have to live with it the rest of your life. When someone has to take their own life because of something that stupid immature kids do to make themselves feel better about themselves isn’t right at all. Like you said about the new bullying law that was passed, I think it has good intentions but honestly it’s not going to help that much because bullying is everywhere and it’s really not all that possible to completely stop bullying everywhere. But I did really like your blog and you did a great job writing it.
    Sami

3.   megehee said,

on May 23rd, 2011 at 12:02 pm      

This is very true, people need to learn how to grow up. Just because their lives aren’t going the way they want it doesn’t mean that they should take it out on other people as a sort of punching bag. Bullies need to stop because they aren’t only affecting one person like they think they are, they are affecting multiple people. I agree with this blog, good work

- Chris Scanlon

4.   megehee said,

on June 8th, 2011 at 10:12 pm      

I am still curious to why this is only coming to light now? Was it not a problem back twenty or thirty years ago? Or were those kids just tougher and kids now are too complacent with the everyone wins kind of schooling system where no one can lose just because we don’t want to hurt a kids feelings.
    -Alex K.

5.   megehee said,

on June 9th, 2011 at 1:49 am      

This is going to make my parents sound old but I feel like this is a story i need to share. My dad would always tell me when he would see like people getting shot or stabbed on the news over such little things like a school yard about times when he was a kid back in the day. He said it was always a semi civilized fight. You didn’t need to worry about kids bringing knives to fights or anything. It was just a fight and when someone fell or something it ended. Now a days, the fighters will kill each other given the opportunity. In all honesty i think this has something to do with all the gangster music and movies we see nowadays. It makes it look cool to do this stuff.

6.   megehee said,

on June 10th, 2011 at 5:05 am      

I do not like when I see someone being bullied. If i know the person cannot do anything about the bully, then i will step in and talk to them and see if I can make them feel better, or i would talk to the bully themself and tell them what they are doing to the person. When I was younger was when i started having a hate toward bullies because my brother was deaf and he would get made fun of all the time because of sounds he would make. So whenever I see a disabled person being picked on it really hurts my feelings because there are those people who think suicide are their only way out and its not. They have people who care and love them

-Ashley