Consuming Kids Response

The title of the documentary speaks for itself. The media and the government are consuming all the children’s attention on a 360 degree scale. In the Consuming Kids documentary it showed us that there are child advertisements everywhere for them to see and for them to get caught up into. The result of so many advertisements is a negative outcome, which I think we should take time to try and solve.

Marketing for children starts early. You may not think so, but at the age of 6 months your baby can recognize brand names such as McDonalds. Marketers call this concept the cradle to the grave. Now even our baby food is branded. As children get older, they spend more. The average amount of spending from children has gone from 4 Billion to 40 billion dollars since deregulation has been in effect. And children influence parents to buy an average 700 billion dollars of brand name toys, and other things. I think this is a serious problem. And so did the government and all the parents.

What they did to try and stop children advertisements was to vote to stop advertising for kids 8 years and younger, but it failed. The FTC decided they would go to improve this by doing the opposite of what everyone wanted; they said ‘no rules for advertising on children.’ Once they said this, the children ads went up 52%. This is a huge upgrade. Everywhere our kids look, there is advertising and they are noticing what they like and want to get. baby ad

This is where the screaming kid in the grocery store comes along. When a child sees a brand name on television, and it shows that if they get this certain kind, they are ‘cool’ they will manipulate the parents into getting it for them even though the store brand is the same thing only cheaper. Kids learn that temper tantrums are effective, and causing a scene in public gets them what they want. What happened to when children got what their parents bought and they were still just as happy knowing they may have gotten something they asked for?

Another thing that is a problem with the children in the new generation is that they all want to grow up too fast. What happened to playing doll house with your friends? Now they are in toddler pageants acting and dressing like grown provocative women. Along with dressing and acting like grown adults on stage, they also want to act like adults at home. On average 8 to 12 year olds have a cell phone, and it is expected to double within the next 3 years. Can you believe that 4th graders have cell phones?

Trying to keep your child away from brand names and advertising is almost impossible, and expensive. If you want to try to keep your kids away from brand name foods, you can go to a store that is all non-brand names; the only problem is it’s expensive to stay away from brands. Another thing I would do is keep your kids away from the television as much as possible. Watch movies not TV.

Ashley Jones

8 thoughts on “Consuming Kids Response

1. I think it is crazy how babies at only 6 months are able to recognize advertisements. I dont think advertisers should be able to target young children.

2. I think it is wrong for companies to use kids as a manipulation tool. They may be hurting the kids and they don’t care as long as they are making money. Some sort of restrictions should be put in place to control companies use of kids.
    -Cole

3. I agree that its wrong for companies to do this but that’s what we get with the society we live in. its all about the bottom line. That capitalism sad to say it, all the big companies just want to make money and make their corporation and the biggest.
    -Alex K.

4. The scary part of this video for me was the manipulation factor. Children are like sponges; when something is shown to them, they are going to remember it. When very young kids are shown certain brands, they are going to remember these for the rest of their years. Brand recognition is so dangerous and it is all due to a surplus of advertising. Ever since deregulation became instated, advertising companies believe they have free reign to display whatever they feel is “necessary.” Because of this, 360 degree immersive marketing has been created. Children are SURROUNDED; you cannot hide. Like Ashley said, you cannot escape it. It is near impossible to not pay attention to brands.
    Also, the thing that freaks me out the most is the fact that kids want to grow up so fast. Being a senior in high school, I have looked back at my younger years and I miss them. I’m mad at myself for trying to act older when I was younger. What does it mean to be 5 years old anymore? How about 10? 15? Today’s media has manipulated young kids to be something that they are not.

Merideth

5. Companies don’t care about kids at all. They just know that they can get into their heads and make them stay loyal to their company for the rest of their lives. The kid sees something they like, they throw a fit and their parents buy it for them. Companies are never going to stop advertising to children, because it makes them money. It’s up to the parents to stop buying their kids whatever they want.

-Courtney

6. But you need to not only look at it in a negative light company’s give some kids a idle someone to look up to someone to believe and and confine to when they feel alone or scared. I know batman mite be one of the most over marketed superheros ever but he was still an idle to me and give me something to believe in so just don’t always look at it in a negative light.

7. I think that it’s crazy that now we are older all of the things we liked when we were younger were just for business. That explains why they were always making toys for the product look cool, so that little kids will go for them. -Chris

8. I agree that there can be a positive side, giving children an idol, but isn’t that giving them exactly what Courtney said, “they can get into their heads and make them stay loyal to their company for the rest of their lives.” Either way the company is getting your money for their product and we are all falling into their trap.

-Ashley J.